|Name:|| People's Rebublic of China
|Human Name:|| Wang Yao (Eastern order)
|Height:||169 cm (5'6.5")|
|First Appearance (volume):||Volume 1|
|First Appearance (strip):|| Prologue: Meeting of the World
Chapter 2: Allied Forces (debut)
|First Appearance (anime):||Episode 01|
|Japanese VA:||Yuki Kaida|
|English VA:||Clarine Harp|
During the years of 2007 and 2008 Himaruya gave human names to some of the characters. China received the name: Wang Yao (Yao Wang in western order); "Wang" being the most common surname in the nation of China, and "Yao" meaning "bright". (His name can sometimes be typoed as Yue or You.)
Full Article: Uniform Guide: China
China primarily appears as a man of fair skin, amber eyes and black hair. Himaruya has stated that his height is 169 cm, or about 5'6.5 inches tall, making him the shortest member of the Allied Forces. Typically he is seen wearing his hair in a ponytail and wearing a green Chinese military uniform with a red armband with a single yellow star on it. On occasion he has seen to have a panda in a bamboo basket on his back that accompanies him. He also bears a large scar on his back caused by Japan, and is also said to have a panda-shaped birthmark above his buttocks. He is sometimes seen carrying a wok, which he can use as a weapon, similar to Hungary's skillet.
As the (canon) oldest nation, China brings it upon himself to act as an elder brother to the younger Asian nations and his disciples (the provinces), though he seldom is treated as one and has little control over them. Much like America, China does enjoy being and charge and receiving what he wants. One of his most prominent characteristics is that he ends his sentences with "-aru" (a Japanese stereotype of the Chinese). However, when conversing with England, it has been shown that he ends his sentences with "-ahen" (opium) as he still holds a grudge against him since the Opium War. He does not end his sentences with these suffixes as much in the English dub of the anime.
Hong Kong was raised by China as a child (the details of which are uncertain), until he became an English colony after China lost the Opium Wars. When Hong Kong returned to China, China was shocked at his changed personality from the years he spent with England. Though China acts more detached from Hong Kong, there is evidence that China still cares about him, as China didn't want him to separate and become independent later (although this may not be for personal reasons). In the main storyline and strips set in the present day, Hong Kong calls China "Teacher" and enjoys collecting pictures of China in embarrassing costumes.
Upon Japan's years of being a new nation, China discovered him as he appeared as a child with no caretaker and subsequently took him in and raised him as a brother--which Japan rejected. Japan eventually betrayed China in an effort to initiate war and attacked China, leaving a scar and broken relationship to this day. The two are shipped together in the fandom as NiChu.
Korea constantly annoys China by claiming that other countries' discoveries originated from him and that he is older than both him and Japan. Korea also refuses to believe that China does not like him. The two are shipped together in the fandom as Korea/China.
In spite of the fact that the two nations have maintained a generally close relationship with each other throughout the years, China is extremely suspicious and wary of him. In one case it was shown Russia had been stalking China while disguised as a panda. The two are shipped together in the fandom as RoChu, which is a quite popular pairing, despite Himaruya stating that their relationship is not romantic.
Little has been revealed about their relationship. In Asian and Western Festivals, Taiwan, like Hong Kong, refers to China as 'Teacher', but, she also talks back to him frequently and does not mind his bossiness.
AU (Alternate Universe) Versions
NOTE: A great deal of the information surrounding the AU versions of this character are purely fanon ideas - headcanons, if you will. Little official information has been given on the alternate universes; please do not believe any of the details not stated to be confirmed as canon to be official.
Read more on the alternative versions of China, listed or not listed below, at: Memes in fandom
Voiced by: Mika Kanai (seiyū)
Nyo! China made her debut appearance in the I Was Overwhelmed with Heroines strip and soon-to-be episode, appearing alongside most of the other main characters. Her fanon name is Wang Chun-Yan or 王春燕 (Chun-Yan Wang in Western order), which Himaruya has stated he likes, but is not canon. She bears a few similarities to her male counterpart, but Nyo! China has dark brown or auburn colored hair instead of black, but has the same amber eyes. She wears her hair in two buns, accessorized by a large hat with and pink flower, and her outfit is a long-sleeved black qipao dress (sometimes known as a cheongsam) with two golden bands around the each sleeve and some characters reading "中国", or China, on the left side of the chest. The sleeves are also longer than her arms, causing them to cover her up hands, similar to most of the normal China's outfits. She's often shown accessorized with a squared kitchen knife, steamed meat buns or a red lantern to substitute China's usual wok and ladle.
In the Nyotalia strip, China acted somewhat like the stereotypical Asian salesperson, practically jumping onto Estonia's back and trying to convince him to buy some medecine from her, insisting that is he bought it "I will be happy, you will be happy!" and then bouncing around him while chanting "Do, do, do, do!". She had aslo kept the verbal tic, the suffix of "-aru" at the end of some of he sentences. Himaruya himself has described her as a girl who's emotions cannot be easily read. In the fandom, nyo! China is usually portrayed as very similar to her male counterpart, as well as an even better and somewhat compulsive cook.
Second Player/Another Color (2p!)
2p! China is a very underdeveloped Second Player in the fandom, having been given no canon traits nor much attention from the fandom itself. Her design seems very similar to her Nyotalia counterpart's, but with the coloring of her qipao longer and a shade of crimson instead of black, accented with gold, and with the stars of her flag replacing the characters on her chest area. Her hat matches the crimson color of her outfit, but the flower remains a light shade of pink. Her hair is also slightly darker, her eyes brighter, and her expression seeming more concerned or cautious. The fanon male version of this 2p! wears a red changshan with the sleeves shortened to above his hands and the collar loose. His complexion is rather gray and shadowy, his hair is maybe a little bit shorter but still in a ponytail, and he wears a grayish Chinese military cap. They still carry the knife and buns.
China's "Another Color" design is portrayed differently depending on the artist or author, but a recurring theme is that they have a very strong sense of honor and will do anything not to tarnish their own. But despite this, they can still be portrayed as an opium addict. They're also shown to be a rather stoic person as well as the kind who never forget an insult. Their set ways also mean they don't do thing for people who will not benefit them and do not stop to help an individual if it risks their idea of the "greater good". Their name is said to be Wang Yang or Xiao/Chun-Yan, though fans switch them around alot or some up with their own, as 2p! China's character and traits (such as their names) remain unsatisfyingly underdeveloped.
Poi Poi Poi (featured)
We Wish You A Merry Christmas (featured)
United Nations Star ☆ (featured)
- In his earliest webcomic profile, China was represented by the Guomindang flag of China. In his profiles from 2007 and on, Himaruya quickly switched the flag out for the People's Republic Of China one. However, the historically accurate flag for the WWII-set strips would be the flag for the Republic Of China (later used for Taiwan).
- His original birthday (October 10th) corresponded with the date of formation of the Republic Of China. However, in later profiles, his birthday was stated as "Unknown". In a Chinese printing of volume 2, his birthday is given as October 1st (the formation of the People's Republic Of China), though the same printing is controversial for changing Taiwan's profile to state that she is a "part of China" (the stance that both Republics of China take).
- He is immortal, which explains his great age of 4000 years. Some Chinese fans will modify his age to 5000, as it is considered to be a more accurate age for "China". This was mentioned in a volume 5 strip, stating that he is 4000 but some say 5000.
- A rejected design for China showed that Himaruya originally considered having him wear glasses. One version of this early design appears in a scan of a notebook page featuring it along with an early male Korea and a Thailand. In the design, China also wears his hair down. A second doodle of the rejected concept would later appear in the special edition booklet for volume 3, where he was depicted with short hair and the glasses. In notes, Himaruya wrote that the character was originally supposed to be calmer and cruel, as well as appearing to be older, however he decided to make him cuter after meeting many Chinese people in his school and neighborhood, though he noted that many mistake him for a girl now.
- In volume 4 it was revealed that he is a member of the Academy Gourmet Food Club along with France and Turkey. In the same scene of this colored chapter, a graphic hue edit or lighting error used to accentuate the punchline of this scene accidentally discolored these three characters' uniform pants to an odd shade of green, opening a door for some fan confusion.
- At the request of a fan("why doesn't China cut his hair" in a suggesting manner,) Himaruya once drew China with short hair. In the drawing, he was given a small ahoge like America's, and also appeared to wear his bomber jacket. China appeared to be somewhat uncomfortable.